Marietta Participates in Tourism, Hospitality, and Arts Day at the Capitol
On January 27, representatives from the Georgia tourism industry, including Katie Peterson and Sarah Sloan at the Marietta Visitors Bureau, gathered under the gold dome for Tourism, Hospitality, and Arts Day at the Capitol. Representatives presented Governor Nathan Deal with a check showing the $2.8 billion in state tax revenue generated from tourism-related expenditures in 2013.
“With an overall economic impact of $53.6 billion, tourism in Georgia spurs growth in nearly every community across the state,” said Deal. “Each year, the industry attracts visitors from around the world and directly benefits thousands of Georgia households by sustaining more than 411,000 jobs, making up 10.2 percent of the state’s workforce.”
Tourism, Hospitality and Arts Day allows travel marketing professionals to come together to help expand the presence of the larger travel and tourism community during the legislative session.
In 2013, Cobb County’s tourism industry supported 16,210 jobs, and generated $1.4 billion in direct tourist spending. As a result of the taxes generated by tourism economic activity, each Cobb County household received $376.30 in tax relief per household.
The Georgia Department of Economic Development also unveiled the cover of the 2015 Georgia Travel Guide featuring famed chefs Hugh Acheson and “Mama Louise” Hudson. The guide provides visitors with information on Georgia’s tourism assets, including trip ideas, attractions, accommodations, events and more. A copy of the official Travel Guide can be picked up at the Marietta Welcome Center.
About the Marietta Visitors Bureau
The Marietta Visitors Bureau works to promote Marietta as a tourism destination with an emphasis on heritage and cultural tourism; thereby increasing overnight visitation by reinvesting visitor generated tax dollars into messages and services targeted exclusively to the visitor. The Marietta Visitors Bureau operates the Welcome Center housed in the Western & Atlantic Railroad Passenger Depot (c. 1898), 4 Depot Street.